List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] How to do a mailing with Kmail?
From:       Bill Anderson <bill-kdepim () noreboots ! com>
Date:       2006-12-15 1:22:37

> > BTW, I maintain a couple of mailing list that employ DADA Mail as the
> > list manager. All mail is sent directly to each individual user -- no
> > Bcc involved.
>
> Yes, some list software does that.  I'm not sure it's good for the state of
> the 'net,

As an email (Postfix) engineer for a rather large financial firm, I don't see
how it is bad in any way for email systems. While you could have 10 "atomic"
emails sent to a domain instead of one, and if you do virus scanning/etc. you
could wind up scanning/analyzing it 10 times instead of one, you also have
the ability to scale that over multiple deliveries and thus multiple servers.

That's the extent of the difference: domains with multiple recipients will see
multiple "copies" of the message - 1 per recipient instead of a single
message with multiple envelope recipients.

Now my turn ...  To me the correct tool would be a word process with mail
merge. IIRC, KWord can access KMail's address book as a data source. IMO this
type of ability is best served by having KWord have an "email merge" option
that talks to KMail for us and handles the needfuls for either turning the
open document into the body of an email or an attached file.

The non-spam commercial world does indeed use the ability to send an email to
multiple recipients them each shown as the sole recipient. In these cases it
is usually done with expensive "Client Relationship Management" systems or
marketing systems that do this. Often this is the only use of the system.
Seems to me a nice win for KOffice to provide this ability. It could be done
in KWord as mentioned above using a KMail address source (or LDAP, etc..)
using DCOP/D-BUS and for sending the actual mail.

Alternatively a new app that was essentially a wrapper around KWord and KMail
would be a decent addition to the suite.

In case anyone is wondering, OpenOffice.org 2.0 seems to have an Email merge
option. It doesn't have KAddressbook support, but supports a decent variety
of other options including csv. One could relatively easily obtain a csv dump
of the KAddressbook addresses and use it. It will allow you send your
document as HTML, PDf, HTML, Text, etc.. I just tried it and it worked
beautifully. No, it isn't a pure KOffice solution, but it does work.

Cheers,
Bill