List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] script to exctract invalid/returned e-mail
From:       Larry Howe <larry.howe () comjet ! com>
Date:       2006-11-26 19:31:22

> Yes I was thinking about mailman, but there are several things I can't do
> with it, because my database is part of a self-made application that not
> only handles the newsletter, but "everything" with my customers, models,
> requests, passwords...., plus it can automatically send the correct
> language version (in german/english/spanisch).
>
> So subscription to the newsletter is just a field in a table set to true,
> while using mailman (or similar) would also mean to have addresses in two
> databases (like customer *and* newsletter subscriber) with all the
> downsides of inconsistency.
>
> Another problem is that my web-hoster doesn't allow me to fully control
> mailman, particularly I cannot add spam-filtering apart from the poor
> built-in functions.
>
> So, I'm still looking for a script or something that helps me to get the
> failed addresses from mail delivery error messages and would be happy about
> any hints (or pointers to maybe more appropriate places where I could
> ask)...

Your options are:
1. Enhance your custom application with bounce processing.
2. Integrate mailman into your custom application.
3. Design an interface between your application, and mailman.

(I use mailman as an example, but there are others as well.)

You're proposing to do 1. Since mailman is open source, you could download the
mailman scripts to get ideas on how to use them. Maybe you could even make
them work for you. They're written in python.

You could do 2, but that would probably require the most software engineering
of any solution.

I would recommend 3. This is the normal approach taken. It can be as simple as
dumping out a text file, and then having mailman read in the text file.
Mailman has a synchronization script that will synchronize the membership of
a mailing list to a text file, so it will handle adds/updates/deletes in one
operation.

The main benefit is that as new versions of mailman are released, you can get
the benefit of the new features without having to re-do your custom code.
Also, mailman is really great at not only bounce processing, but all the
other little details that are important in managing a mailing list.

Mailman has a lot of scripts that allow it to interface with other
applications. You need access to the command line to use them, so if your web
host doesn't allow this, you will need a new host to make this work. I highly
recommend using a Virtual Private Server such as linode or openhosting. Then
you have complete access to your own server at very low cost.

Larry