List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] script to exctract invalid/returned e-mail
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2006-11-26 15:06:20

On Sunday 26 November 2006 15:08, Larry Howe wrote:
> On Sunday 26 November 2006 07:51, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> > Is there a script or a program that can extract the failed addresses from
> > mail delivery error messages received and stored in a K-Mail-directory?
>
> Why don't you use a mailing list management program like mailman
> (www.list.org)? You can set parameters such as, after a certain number of
> bounces, disable an address, or delete a subscription. So it will not only
> identify bad addresses, but also remove them for you.
>
> You'll have to feed new subscriptions from the website to mailman, which
> could be done with a shell script, or via a text file.
>
> Larry

Thanks, Larry

Yes I was thinking about mailman, but there are several things I can't do with
it, because my database is part of a self-made application that not only
handles the newsletter, but "everything" with my customers, models, requests,
passwords...., plus it can automatically send the correct language version
(in german/english/spanisch).

So subscription to the newsletter is just a field in a table set to true,
while using mailman (or similar) would also mean to have addresses in two
databases (like customer *and* newsletter subscriber) with all the downsides
of inconsistency.

Another problem is that my web-hoster doesn't allow me to fully control
mailman, particularly I cannot add spam-filtering apart from the poor
built-in functions.

So, I'm still looking for a script or something that helps me to get the
failed addresses from mail delivery error messages and would be happy about
any hints (or pointers to maybe more appropriate places where I could ask)...

Daniel

Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch