List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] keep losing contacts
From:       "Paul Newton" <paul () topolino ! org>
Date:       2006-11-22 11:20:30

On Wed, November 22, 2006 12:00 pm, kdepim-users-request@kde.org wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:50:09 +0800
> From: "S.Barret Dolph" <wheds8@ms66.hinet.net>
> Subject: [kdepim-users] keep losing contacts
> To: kdepim-users@kde.org
>
> I keep losing my contacts in my address book. Any suggestions?
> (Kontact 1.2, Kmail 1.91, Kaddress 3.5 running under Vector Linux)
>
> Cordially,
> S. Barret Dolph

I have been having this problem as well (mainly since upgrading to Edgy,
but I have had this problem in the past if I recall).

For me, this happens when the machine crashes (not that often I am glad to
say, but it sometimes freezes when running a SVGA game or something like
that).

I noticed that in the user KDE folder (.kde/share/apps...) you will find
many backups of the std.vcf and calendar/todo files. You need to look in
the relevant application folder (kabc and korganizer I think), but you
will see a number of these files, suffixed with _1, _2, _3 etc.

You will see that your current file (std.vcf) is empty, but that the
previous one (std_1.vcf) has your contacts. If you close Kontact then
rename std_1.vcf to std.vcf and restart...then you get your contacts back.

Of course, this isn't a solution. I am not sure why this is happenning. It
is quite unsettling because contacts/calendar are the few things that I
rely on and I would be lost without them. I could live with reinstalling
packages from scratch but the personal data is not something I want to
lose!

I would suggest taking regular backups as well...
Generally it takes some semi-dramtic data loss event before people realise
the importance of backups :)

paul.