List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KPilot sync problems on FC6
From:       "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vR () movingparts ! net>
Date:       2006-11-11 5:53:05

On Friday 10 November 2006 08:50, John Aldrich wrote:
> I've gotten KPIlot to work here... I previously posted that I wasn't able
> to get it to sync at all. Now, at least, I've gotten it to sync, partially.
> However, it seems to die trying to back up a game called "Hardball." I
> believe this is part of the free games that are downloadable from Palm.com.
> It's a clone of the arcade game "Breakout."
>
> What happens is that EVERY time it tries to back up that game, I get an
> error on my Visor stating "The connection between your handheld computer
> and the desktop was lost. Some of your data was NOT backed up. Please check
> your setup and try again."
>
> I've checked my settings multiple times and I'm reasonably certain I've
> got 'em correct.
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 6 on an Athlon 1100, about 1.2 Gigs of RAM, and
> tons of disk space. KPilot reports the following version info:
> Version: KPilot 4.6.0 (blivit)
> Version: pilot-link 0.11.8
> Version: KDE 3.5.4-4.fc6 Fedora-Core
> Version: Qt 3.3.6v

Hi John,

Yes, I've an idea.  =:)  The problem is likely that you're using pilot-link
0.11.x, which has a limitation as to the size of the database that it can
handle.  Also, you're using a version of kpilot that does not allow you to
have a granular level of control over when a backup is done.  You may not
wish to do backups at all, but that's not such an easy thing to do with the
version of kpilot that you're using.

To solve both of these issues, you can get the source code of the latest
version of kpilot (www.kpilot.org has instructions on how to get this).  It
has a built-in version of pilot-link 0.12.x, which gets around the first
problem entirely, and also allows you to specify when you want a backup done,
if ever, which addresses the second problem.

Anyway, you might be able to get around this also with the versions that you
have by adding the database name and/or the database creator to the "do not
backup" list in kpilot's configuration dialog.

--

 `
 ,