List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kmail suggestions
From:       "Derek Broughton" <auspex () pointerstop ! ca>
Date:       2006-09-26 16:59:12

On 9/26/06, Frank Reifenstahl <f.reifenstahl@seelig.de> wrote:

> > I'm not sure how you expect some random DBMS to actually do a sequential
> > search through massive amounts of text  any faster than KMail currently
> > does. You have to index a DB to get that advantage, and I don't see how
> > that works for text searches in the middle of a message.
>
> Watching kmail searching some 10000 emails by subject I have to wait up to 30
> or 40 seconds till it is finished off (on a 1,3 GHz AMD Duron). A comparable
> query run under MySQL reports back after a fraction of that.

Even if you look for a just _part_ (and not the first part, even) of
the subject?

> > That said, my mail store is a local IMAP server, which could quite easily
> > be using a DB backend (I know there are a couple that can use MySQL).
>
> Hmmm... I am no expert belonging to that. Do you think it's possible to run a
> local IMAP server in a pop3 based mail environment to take advantage of IMAP
> features?

I use fetchmail to get all my mail, and drop it into dovecot (IMAP).
The only IMAP server I've found that actually stores the _messages_ in
an SQL db is dbmail - it turns out the others I'd heard of are just
using SQL for metadata.

> > > Another issue related to this is accessibility of mails. To access
> > > arbitrary files one might use {protokoll}://{server}/{path}.
> >
> > Again, it can if you're using an IMAP store.
>
> How do you reference an IMAP stored email e.g. in a OOO document? Something
> like imap://928682369823.47378 ?

Something like :-)  I meant to add that nothing I know of in KDE makes
that easy, but it can be done. I just tried in Konqueror, and
imap://derek:PASSWORD@localhost/, shows me a directory structured tree
of my mail folders, and I can access the individual mails within.
IMAP has a concept of shared folders that you should be able to use
for password-less access.  Now, I don't know how stable those URLs are
- or if that's in any way controlled by the IMAP spec, because the
message URLs (at least under Dovecot) all contain a numeric prefix
indicating the order they were inserted into the folder.  If copied to
another folder, I'm sure they'd have a different prefix, but I'm not
sure if it would also change if I performed certain operations on the
folder they're in now.
--
derek