List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] how does knode handle submissions to moderated
From:       Matej Cepl <ceplm () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2006-09-25 20:54:54

Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Perhaps I have never properly understood the mechanics of moderated
> newsgroups and how postings get sent to the moderator.

Well, in case of gmane it is fake moderation anyway. Moderated newsgroup
means, that newsserver (which knows what to do with it -- leafnode 1.*
doesn't, leafnode 2.* could when properly configured) should not accept any
message for reading unless it has Approved: header with the email address
of the moderator. When news client (i.e., knode, leafnode 1.* always, and
leafnode 2.* or inn with moderation switched off, which is default; for
leafnode 2.* to have switched on moderation -- i.e., to have
non-empty /etc/news/moderators file -- and be able to post to gmane.org
requires at least version 2.0.0.alpha20060831a) doesn't know what to do, it
just ignores whole moderation mess and posts/reads merrily to/from upstream
and hopes that upstream server will take care of this issue.

In case of gmane.org, whole moderation business is fake -- gmane.org
newsserver has set list email address as moderator, so any message posted
to gmane.* group is sent via email to the list ("for moderation") and when
it returns from the list to gmane, gmane mail2news gateway software adds
messages seems to be approved by the moderator.

However, all this doesn't make any sense anywhere else than at the gmane.org
newsserver, so any newsserver which has moderation activated should be set
to not bother with gmane.* messages and just send them to gmane.org
newsserver (the line in /etc/news/moderators should read
gmane.*:
i.e., nothing after the colon).

(sorry, just checked couple of gmane.* messages and the moderator is not
list address, but news@gmane.org which probably means, that user news has
some mechanism how to bounce all messages it gets to particular email
lists; in case of my local news2mail gateway it is just procmailrc which
sends email using pygn2m script, but I guess site of the gmane size will
have something more complicated).

Best,

Matěj

--
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/
Templová 6, phone: 604 893 825, JID: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

The main idea of the pope's asking for forgiveness was not to be
afraid of the truth. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF TRUTH! We have to have
faith in the God's governing power to be able not to be afraid.
    -- On NPR The Connection from March 13, 2000