List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kmail suggestions
From:       Derek Broughton <derek () pointerstop ! ca>
Date:       2006-09-23 14:40:53

On Friday 22 September 2006 08:03, Frank Reifenstahl wrote:
> > 2. Export Messags, (as single text files with subject header as file
> > name.
> >
> > 3. I know the messages are in maildir format, however, if KMail could
> > use sqlite 3 database as its backend, (plus) with #1 &  #2 this would be
> > very good, plus the blazing speed of sqlite db.
> >
> > 3a. then doing complex search strings threw 700,000 messages, would take
> > seconds.... be able to do reports... export out database via  report
> > editor.
>
> That's for sure! It seems to me storing mail data in files is a relict of
> ol' times where only few people were using that medium to comunicate,
> sending each other messages sized some dozen words. I think it's time to
> make a break and to not any longer store data of mixed formats in giant
> pots where one has to whisk using regexp's or other cumbersome crutches to
> get wanted messages, if ever.

I'm not sure how you expect some random DBMS to actually do a sequential
search through massive amounts of text  any faster than KMail currently does.
You have to index a DB to get that advantage, and I don't see how that works
for text searches in the middle of a message.

That said, my mail store is a local IMAP server, which could quite easily be
using a DB backend (I know there are a couple that can use MySQL).

> Another issue related to this is accessibility of mails. To access
> arbitrary files one might use {protokoll}://{server}/{path}. Many
> applications are able to handle URLs to put the user in a position to link
> information. But the most important source of information in daily work
> (IMHO) can't be accessed that way.

Again, it can if you're using an IMAP store.
--
derek