List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] alarm problem
From:       "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-29 22:23:16

OK; I must be doing something really stupid, but I can't figure out what :-(

Running KOrganizer 3.5.3 under KDE 3.5.4 on Kubuntu 6.06.1.

This is my first outing with KOrganizer; in the past I have used
Sunbird. but now that KOnqueror has colour-coded calendars I figured I
would make the switch to something more tightly integrated with KDE.

I have a remote calendar, with several events containing alarms. But
the alarms don't seem to go off at all.

Here is an example event that I just added a few minutes ago:

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20060829T220943Z
ORGANIZER;CN=N7DR:MAILTO:N7DR@arrl.net
CREATED:20060829T220704Z
UID:KOrganizer-1713968890.951
SEQUENCE:1
LAST-MODIFIED:20060829T220939Z
SUMMARY:title
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTART:20060829T221500Z
DTEND:20060829T231500Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:DISPLAY
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-PT5M
END:VALARM

I am in the Mountain (America/Denver) timezone, and I have that set
properly in Korganizer. That means that I am six hours behind UTC.

So, the above event looks to me like it should start at 16:15 my time,
and a visible alarm should go off at 16:10.

The event appears properly on my calendar. But the alarm did not go off.

FWIW, I have also tried audible alarms as well as visible ones, but
none of them work. And I have a bunch of events with alarms in the
calendar file; none of them work. The above event is just a test
example I made up a few minutes ago to explicitly test what was
happening.

KOrganizer is sitting in my panel OK (i.e., it is running).

What am I doing wrong?

I already missed one appointment with my boss because of this :-(
(Yeah, yeah; I should have tested it first; naively, I assumed that
alarms would just work the way I expected them too. My fault.)

Oh, one other thing; as I mentioned, this calendar is stored remotely
(via webdav). Both the display and the actual contents of the remote
file seem to indicate that KOrganizer is handling the fact that it's
remote properly (i.e., it reads and writes the remote file properly
when I tell it to).