List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] How to format name in address book
From:       Larry Alkoff <labradley () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2006-07-20 20:11:51

I would like to have some information or pointer to information
on formatting names in the address book (Kaddressbook?).

I had names formatted the way I like in my Palm Clie but cannot enter
names in the same format in Kaddressbook.  I want to abandon the Windows
Palm Desktop and use Kontact exclusively from now on but need to know
how I can format the names the way I want.

For many years I have formatted names in a Palm Clie pilot that
organizes them by funtion.  It's all done in the 'Last name' field.
There are about 750 such entries.

For example:
linux_ Blow, Howard
linux_ Joe & Mildred Smith
dr. Ferrill & Elana Smith
dr. Jackson, John & Mary

These formatted names have the advantages of appearing in the Palm Clie
in alphabetical order so they are easy to scroll and view.
They also imported intact when I used Kpilot which also synced
automatically with Kaddressbook.  All is well so far.

What I'd like to do is format the names in the following way:
Title:	This would use things like linux_ and dr. for sorting purpose
either:
First and last name in the 'Name field'
in the form 'first last' or 'last, first'.

Problems:
If I use the title field, it shows up in the 'Formatted name' but not in
the Palm handheld.

If I put the "title" like 'dr.' or 'linux_' in the Name field, it
appears in the Formatted name but the Formatted name will _drop_ all
strings except 2.

I've been experimenting and googling without much success so far.  Could
anyone give me some guidance?

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux