List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Loss of Connection / abscence of warning
From:       Derek Broughton <derek () pointerstop ! ca>
Date:       2006-07-14 0:35:26

On Thursday 13 July 2006 00:22, Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:
> Hi Community
>
> I noticed something that may be particular to my system, but may be a bug
> (haven't found, though):
>
> If my Internet connection fails (I live in Cambodia...), I'll have Kmail
> displaying the usual warnings & would click "OK" because I am quite used
> to. Nto much to do tahn wait, right ? Then, as Kmail is set to fetch mails
> on a regular basis, I just keep on until it's back on.
>
> One thing, though, is that after you acknowledged the inability to
> fecth/send the POP/SMPT mails, for as long as the internet is down, Kmail
> will continue to "act" as it is fetching mails, while actually the
> connection is dead. I am happy NOT to have warnings on the 13 mailboxes I
> am in charge of for my organization every 5 minutes or so, but I do not
> like the fact that Kmail "looks like" he is trying while nothing is
> happening, including Progress Bar and 0 new messages info.

I believe the problem is actually worse than this.  Not only does it "look
like" it's trying to download when it's not connected, but after the network
comes back up, it still looks like it's downloading - but _nothing_ ever
arrives.  This happens to me every time I forget to close kontact when I
hibernate my system.  When I start up again, the network connects, I see
messages saying kMail is checking accounts, but I never get any new messages.
Shut down kontact, start up again, and there'll be dozens of messages in my
inbox.
--
derek