List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KMail crashes
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-13 16:13:04

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 04:35, Bjørge Solli wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have told you before about my KMail crashing, but this seems like a
> problem I have to live with. But I was wondering if it is a good idea to
> make a copy of a "clean" /home/bjorge/.kde/share/apps/kmail so that when it
> crashes I only need to delete it and copy from the clean ready to go backup
> setup. A good idea, or not? (the best would of course be that it did not
> crash..).

Hi

One good thing -at least on my system- is that, however bad the crash is, I
never lost anything, even with crashes that happen during the sending of
email's... that's good, the daemon is "untouched" by the crash.

Well, then, for a lot of us, Email's are more than files. I use Konserve to
autobackup my mail folder to an external HDD everyday, and the mails are
anyway stored on another HDD in my computer - not only another partition, I
mean. I've had several issues with various OS'es, shame on Xandros, Ubuntu,
Kubuntu, SuSE, so I spent quite a few times putting my copies of Configs &
mails "back" in place. If you really "take" everything, Kmail won't be
downloading all your mails from the server each time - Yes, the very basic
safetynet is "Leave Message on Server" from the Kmail Accounts settings.

File you must save: (use "show hidden file" function on your navigator)
- ./kde/share/configs & ./kde/share/apps/kmail

And you should be good from my experience on SuSE9.3 / KDE 3.4.0 / kmail 1.8,
using a mix of maildir and mbox format.

But the real point is: since October 2005, I never lost a single Email on
that. Some attachments may suffer (unproven fact, I feel some that are now
broken where not upon fetching) - in this case, I manually retrieve them from
my mail server. And Kmail is crashing once a month here. Anything above, I'd
switch to Evolution.

cheers Bjorge

Jean-Philippe.