List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Archieve/Backup
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2006-03-03 19:37:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Eugene Nine wrote:

>On Thursday 02 March 2006 12:04, Daniel Bauer wrote:
>

>>Am Donnerstag, 2. März 2006 16:12 schrieb Art Alexion:
>>

>>>I could be wrong, but CDs and DVDs *are* optical media.  I was also
>>>under the impression that they are much more stable than tape.  Just
>>>from my own experience, audio cassettes from the 1980s have degraded
>>>physically, and the music has bled to the adjacent portion of the tape
>>>where it is wound.  CDs from that era are like new.
>>>

>>Music-CD's as you can buy them cannot be compared to self-burned CD's.
>>"Buy-CD's" are pressed using a glass master and are therefore much more
>>stable than CD's that are burned with a laser into a light sensitive
>>surface.
>>
>>An archival study by an university (to find out how to archive old
>>photographic work) said, burned CD's should be copied on new media every
>>two years. They decided to copy on micro film, which was the most stable
>>media at the time of the study.
>>

>Yep, burned CD's are generally considered stable for 1-2 years.  Tapes are
>considered 10 years or so.  Tapes recorded digitally are not the same as
>audio cassettes which were recorded analog.  Digital is binary remember so
>anything that isn't a zero is a one so the tapes can degrade 99% and that
>remaining 1% will still register as a one.  Then there are checksums and
>error correction that analog doesn't have.  Plus the backup software will
>record a useage count and recommend the tape be discarded after x number of
>uses.

OK.  A number of us are putting out "facts" on this thread without any
substantiation -- myself included.  My points were, at least, made from
some anecdotal experience.

I keep hearing about "studies" but haven't seen a pointer to a single
one, so I can read it for myself.  This is an interesting and important
issue, and all I am getting at this point is "conventional wisdom".

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c