List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KPilot on FreeBSD
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-23 20:04:06

On Monday 23 May 2005 13:28, Almon C. Turner wrote:
> I have my Palm Zire 31 up and running with KDE 3.4 on FreeBSD 5.4R as
> root.  Can anyone help me with getting the permissions sorted out so a
> regular user can use it?  I've tried several things, all to no avail.
> When running as a normal (?) user KPilot cannot find the device.

You want devfs rules to deal with it -- or otherwise a usbd configuration to
handle it. The following (run as root after boot) will ensure that the
devices get the correct permissions:

devfs ruleset 10
devfs rule delset
devfs rule add path ucom* mode 666 group operator
devfs rule add path ugen* mode 666 group operator
devfs rule applyset

YMMV, using permissions 0660 is certainly safer, but then you need to add the
users you trust to use the console / USB ports safely to group operator.

Alternatively, enable usbd after putting a sensible entry in usbd.conf; the
one for the Visor is this:

device "Handspring Visor"
        devname "ugen[0-9]+"
        vendor  0x082d
        product 0x0100
        release 0x0100
        attach "/usr/local/bin/coldsync -md -p /dev/${DEVNAME} -t usb"

For the Z31, it's vendor 0x830 product 0x60 or 0x61, remove release, and
instead of running Coldsync, use chmod / chown / chgrp on ${DEVNAME}, and
maybe even soft-link /dev/pilot to it. Use your imagination -- any single
shell command-line is allowed there.

(PS. I _think_ this is also in the FAQ on kpilot.org, but if not please
re-format in HTML and send it to me and I'll add it).

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot