List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Re: setting up LDAP for address management
From:       Martin Fahrendorf <fahrendorf () helix-gmbh ! net>
Date:       2005-04-27 5:49:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 26. April 2005 17:21 schrieb Matej Cepl:
> Dale E. Martin wrote:
> > Is there a howto somewhere for setting up OpenLDAP for use with
> > kdepim apps?  Is there read/write access for LDAP sources within
> > kdepim?  I'd really like to be able to share address book info
> > within my family, LDAP seems like the answer, but all of the
> > documentation that comes up when I google is about doing
> > authentication and seems very complex...  For storing
> > addresses/phone numbers/email addresses is it really that
> > complicated?
>
> Yes, please!!!
>
> I have tried to set up local slapd server according to LDAP-HOWTO and
> it seems to be so incredibly complicated, that I gave up (even using
> my best efforts, I was not able to make it work correctly and
> moreover in that moment KAddressbook was LDAP RW yet).
>
> Could anybody provide some _simple_ tutorial how to store addressbook
> which is currently in kabc to the local LDAP server, please?

But, LDAP is not simple. And you lose some of the features with ldap,
kab offers to you. With LDAP you can not enter home address and office
address to one person (as I remeber well) - at least I did not get it.
OK, you can enter it, but it is not stored into the LDAP directory. The
next time you search for the address it is missing. You can not save
the prefered signing/encrypting settings into LDAP and some others
more.

There have to be a special LDAP ObjectClass for kab with all the
features kab has.

I do use LDAP very intensive since about 6 jears, but I do not use LDAP
for my private addresses. Currently I use vcard in a directory.

> Thanks,
>
>         matěj

Martin