List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot with udev : solution
From:       Guido Pinkernell <guido.pinkernell () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-04-01 9:42:08

Hi Adriaan,

glad to hear that you think this is useful. When you put it on your website
you might need some more details. I have added them inline.

Guido

Am Donnerstag, 31. März 2005 09:55 schrieb Guido Pinkernell:
> In case anyone is interested:
>
> After disabling automatic hotplug I experienced some erratic behaviour with
> hotsync, obviously due to problems with connecting to the device node,
> which - with udev - is being created new every time the hotsync button is
> pressed on the palm. What I have done to continue working with udev and
> kpilot is this:
>
> 1. Create a rules file to tell udev what the name of the device node should
> be when the hotsync button is pressed. In my case it's "/dev/pilot":

> SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld",    SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678",
> NAME="pilot"

I am not sure whether these settings apply to any palm handheld. You can check
by attaching your palm to the USB, then press the Hotsync button. In Konsole,
run

# udevinfo -a -p `udevinfo -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB3`

If this doesn't produce a long output among which you find the abovementioned
two SYSFS{} then try other /ttyUSBx. Be sure that you run this while the
Hotsync button jut has been pressed.

In case the output gives different settings for SYSFS{product} and/or
SYSFS{serial} then use these settings in the rules file, which you then can
save as "00-palm.rules" in /etc/udev/rules.d/

> 2. Now create a permissions file for the node:
>
> # Permissions for /dev/pilot created by udev for palm pilot
> pilot:$local:users:777

The first entry ("pilot" here) must be the same as the definition in "NAME" in
the rules fie above. Put all this into a text file which then gets saved as
"00-palm.permissions" in /etc/udev/permissions.d/