List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] kpilot with udev : solution
From:       Guido Pinkernell <guido.pinkernell () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-03-31 7:55:18

In case anyone is interested:

After disabling automatic hotplug I experienced some erratic behaviour with
hotsync, obviously due to problems with connecting to the device node, which
- with udev - is being created new every time the hotsync button is pressed
on the palm. What I have done to continue working with udev and kpilot is
this:

1. Create a rules file to tell udev what the name of the device node should be
when the hotsync button is pressed. In my case it's "/dev/pilot":

#Palm m125 einbinden als pilot
#
SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld",    SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678",
NAME="pilot"

(note the serial number: It's the original of my palm, not made up)

2. Now create a permissions file for the node:

# Permissions for /dev/pilot created by udev for palm pilot
pilot:$local:users:777

Maybe 777 isn't nescessary. However, it works now.

Guido