List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: kmail command line options
From:       Russell Johnson <russ4262 () gbronline ! com>
Date:       2004-11-24 3:26:25

Dear Sir,
I am a Linux newbie and I  would like to set up the following events on my
computer also, but I am not knowledgeable of the DCOP command nor am I
familiar with many others. I also am able to get the kmail composer to open
with the desired information in the proper fields, but I also do not know how
to get kmail to finish the task by automatically sending the message.

Can you please give me an example or point me to another source.

I copied the following from
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2004-July/001526.html:

--------------------------
-------------------------
--------------------------
--------------------------
On Thursday 15 July 2004 04:20, Stuart Miller wrote:
> I wish to send an e-mail once a day containing a file generated by a
> perl script I have written. I can generate the message with kmail -s
> .....  -msg .....  but then I end up in the composer window. How can
> I go the next step and have kmail actually send the message? Then I
> could get a simple shell script to generate the file and send it to
> me (and others) each morning.

dcop is your friend.

Use the
DCOPRef openComposer(QString to,QString cc,QString bcc,QString
subject,QString body,bool hidden)
call with
dcop kmail KMailIface openComposer ...

Each argument has to be a string. The arguments are separated with
whitespace.

Store the DCOPRef that's returned and use it to call the send dcop call.

> Alternate solution would be to generate the entire message with perl,
> then drop it somewhere that kmail can find it. Problem is, as I
> understand the docs, I would have to force kmail to regenerate the
> indexes, and I do not see a command line option to do this. Can I
> access the indexes with perl and modify them myself? There is also
> the issue of setting the mesage id correctly.

If you generate the entire message yourself then you can use the
int dcopAddMessage(QString foldername,QString messagefile)
call to add the message to the outbox folder.

> Second problem is with kmail itself. I have configured it to check
> mail at intervals, which it does just fine. I have also set it to
> send queued mail on checkmail. It does this when I do a manual check
> mail, but does not do it on an automatic interval checkmail.

That's intended behavior.

> Is there some odd configuration item I have missed?

In KMail 1.7 it will also be possible to make KMail send queued mail on
automatic mail checking.

Regards,
Ingo