List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Kmail with ntlm auth to an MS exchange server
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-11-09 6:53:20

Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 21:20, David Partain wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>At work, we use exchange servers extensively.
>>No, it's not my fault.
>>
>>Until current HEAD came along, talking to our exchange
>>servers was out of the question since they require NTLM
>>authentication.  As such, I've been fetching mail with
>>fetchmail and reading from a local spool file.  This has
>>the benefit of being able to run spamassassin on it before
>>it makes it into kmail.  But I digress...
>>
>>With HEAD, it's apparently now possible to use NTLM.
>>So, I:
>>
>>- grabbed and compiled cyrus-sasl
>>- compiled HEAD kdepim (I'm using KDE_3_3_BRANCH
>>  for everything else)
>>
>>Now, I can successfully configure a receiver using
>>NTLM.  I "checked what my server could do" and selected
>>Plain text / NTLM.  Cool.
>>
>>Now, the question:  I can't for the life of me figure out
>>the right username incantation to get it to talk.  I have
>>to supply domain, username, and mailbox.  Using fetchmail's
>>syntax (user@domain, where mailbox is assumed to be
>>the same as user) certainly doesn't work.  Using
>>domain/user/mailbox doesn't work.  Using /domain/user
>>doesn't work (same assumption).  I'm stymied.
>>What should the username be?

Hello!

As I didn't have the opportunity to test with an Exchange server, I
think the username is simply the username. If it's not working, try the
'imtest' program (it's in cyrus-imapd package) to see what's going
wrong, e.g. run imtest -m NTLM serveraddress.
And finally, have you installed cyrus sasl's NTLM plugin?

Bye,
György