List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: data transfer or store on flash drive
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-02 10:07:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 02 October 2004 03:18, Jim Schaffitz wrote:
> I didn't see this covered in the list so I'm writing to ask if
> Kontact and/or it's subcomponents can bet set to save data files to
> other than the default location. I would like to have only one
> instance of the data on a usb drive so i can go between all the
> machines i use. If the default locations cannot be changed it there a
> list of all the files which are used so I would know what i had to
> copy to move them ?

I don't know exactly what you want to save on the usb drive.

Your addresses? Then simply change the contact resource in the KDE
Control Center (KDE Components -> KDE Resources Configuration). You
should create a new one (of type File) and point it to your usb drive.
Then you should go to KAddressBook, select all addresses, copy them,
paste them, select the newly created resource. If everything went well,
then you can now remove to old resource.

Your calendar? Then add a new resource in KOrganizer (or also in the KDE
Control Center). I think in this case you have to export your old
calendar and import it into the new resource.

Your mail? You should really consider using IMAP. Of course, you can
also move ~/Mail to your usb drive and then simply create a symlink to
this directory.

If all machines are in the same network you should consider exporting
your home directory via NFS.

Regards,
Ingo