List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Problem with Palm Tungsten3 (SOLVED-sort of)
From:       Tom Taylor <linxt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-09-17 6:10:46

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 02:22, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2004 10:38, Tom Taylor wrote:
> > Sep 15 01:14:37 linux2 udev[11233]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB0'
> > Sep 15 01:14:37 linux2 udev[11235]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB1'
> > Sep 15 01:15:42 linux2 udev[11264]: removing device node '/udev/ttyUSB0'
> > Sep 15 01:15:42 linux2 udev[11284]: removing device node '/udev/ttyUSB1'
> > Sep 15 01:15:42 linux2 kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
>
> OK, in the past few days we've had several useful messages from folks
> reporting how to configure the hotplug agent to make it assign a useful
> device name to the Pilot - check the archives again. In your particular
> case, it looks like you're getting /udev instead of /dev entries (insert
> rant about Linux distro's here), so try with pilot-xfer:
>
> pilot-xfer -p /udev/ttyUSB0 -L
>
> press hotsync button, count three, hit enter. Er, make sure the device gets
> the right permissions (somehow - it was mentioned recently). If that one
> fails, try USB1 instead.

Hi all:

Thanks to Adriaan and all the others whose tips set me on the path to
enlightment.

The above mentioned pilot-xfer worked but only after I tried having the pda
turned on while in the cradle.  Again the winBLOWS method of allowing syncing
with the pda turned off (pressing hot sync button turns it on) was the cause
of much hair tearing (hard to do when there ain't much left) and swearing.

The sequence that is working so far for me is:

1.  Insert pda into cradle and turn on
2.  Start the Kpilot (or Jpilot) program
3.  Hit the hot sync button on pda

This seems to be somewhat time sensitive but not always the same timing
although the Jpilot seems to be somewhat less variable.

Again, thanks to all for the help.

Tom