List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot support for Documents-ToGo <-> Openoffice
From:       Arild Bergh <ab () abergh ! com>
Date:       2004-08-17 21:39:18

> > of a "pick up files of type xxx" feature, which would be useful for
> > synching documents without having to do a full backup?
>
> ? I don't get it. All files in the install dir (pending_install/) are
> installed to the pilot if possible.

This refers to something we talked about earlier: As it stands you can only
work with the files from the Palm device from the backup folder. This means
you may work with old files if there hasn't been a backup. For true synching
it would be useful to be able to request files, probably by creator and/or
file type, via the config window.

In the General setup - Backup screen there's an option to enter the 4
character file type for items you don;t want to back up. This would be the
opposite: Specify the file types you want to get before the PERL synch is
called, then you know your working on the latest version of the file.

The Document2Go program is a good example, to make it work nicely you want to
be able to compare the latest file from the device, and the word document on
the PC, then take a decision as to whether you should extract the Word doc
from the pdb file and replace the Word doc, or whether you should overwrite
the one on the Palm with the one from the PC.

In summary you need two things:
1: A new tab for the PERL conduit where you define the filetypes to copy
across before calling PERL.
2: A variety of the backup code which only copies the specified filetypes.

If it's possible it would be a great bonus and we could start developing a
library of PERL scripts that act as additional conduits without any changes
in KPILOT...
--
All the best,

Arild