List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: How does removing of duplicate messages work?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-28 23:11:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 11:53, Benjamin Traut wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Wednesday, 28. July 2004 01:01 schrieb Ingo Klöcker
>
> > On Tuesday 27 July 2004 22:35, Benjamin Traut wrote:
> > > I think, the subject says it all. Does KMail compare message-IDs
> > > and Mail-content or does it only compare the subject-lines?
> >
> > Only the Message-ID.
>
> thanks for clarification.
>
> > > I am asking this, because I just tried that feature an get a
> > > feedback, that 91 duplicates were deleted, but I neither see them
> > > in the trash-folder nor do I get the names of the messages.
> >
> > So it works as intended. If you think there's room for improvement
> > then please use bugs.kde.org to submit a wish.
>
> Perhaps I will do it. But as the message-ID *should* be unique, there
> shouldn't be a great chance of having data-loss.

That's exactly why we chose to only use the Message-ID. We also
contemplated using some other headers and/or a hash over the message
body. But both things can differ for duplicate messages, e.g. for a
message which you've received via a mailing list and additionally as
cc'ed recipient because many mailing lists append a footer to the
message body or add a label to the Subject header.

Regards,
Ingo