List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail command line options
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-15 10:14:01

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Stuart Miller wrote:
> I wish to send an e-mail once a day containing a file generated by a
> perl script I have written. I can generate the message with kmail -s
> .....  -msg .....  but then I end up in the composer window. How can I
> go the next step and have kmail actually send the message? Then I could
> get a simple shell script to generate the file and send it to me (and
> others) each morning.

Hi Stuart,

Once the composer is there you can probably use DCOP to close the composer
window and send the message; since your script is apparently running
somewhere where you have a DISPLAY and can start KMail anyway, you might
do the following:

> Alternate solution would be to generate the entire message with perl,
> then drop it somewhere that kmail can find it. Problem is, as I
> understand the docs, I would have to force kmail to regenerate the
> indexes, and I do not see a command line option to do this. Can I access
> the indexes with perl and modify them myself? There is also the issue of
> setting the mesage id correctly.

1) Start kmail unconditionally
2) Sleep 5 to let it get on with starting up
3) Generate the whole message with perl
4) Use DCOP to add the whole message to the outbox
5) Use DCOP to trigger a mail send
6) Use DCOP to quit kmail

More subtle is of course to make (1) and (6) conditional on KMail already
running (ie. don't start it if already running, don't quit if it was
already running).

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE