List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Integrating pppd in kpilotDaemon
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-18 13:29:41

Hi Joachim,

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Joachim Reichelt wrote:
> I want to use two features of my Palm 515:
> 1. Hotsync via usb, as usual with kpilotDeamon (work well!)
> AND
> 2. using USB-ppp network to download stuff directly from the net.

I don't know what (2) is - it's certainly never been tested.

> If kpilotDaemon is up, it grabs ttyUSB0/1 to sync and does a fork as far
> as I can see.

It doesn't fork any more than any other KUniqueApplication - I guess that
means that yes, it forks once to get into the background, and the
foreground daemon exits. There is only one kpilotDaemon process running.

> using SuSE 9.0 I have now 3 daemons up:
> One started by kde (login) or kpilot to sync (Nr.1),
> one started by suseplugger, due to the hotplug event (Nr.2)

That shouldn't be necessary - if anything, the hotplug manager should link
/dev/pilot to the correct ttyUSB device, and let the already running
kpilotDaemon deal with it. Since the daemon is a unique application, this
second copy should just exit immediately, since there's already one
running.

<snip description of problem running pppd>

I don't get it, basically - which protocol are you trying to speak over
the wire? HotSync? Why not start pppd yourself instead of kpilotDaemon, if
you want to do ppp from the Pilot?

<snip even longer .sig - remember, 4 lines max. >