List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail and new mail
From:       "Joshua J. Kugler" <jkugler () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2004-04-25 10:48:39

On Sunday 25 April 2004 12:56 am, rh said something like:
> On April 24, 2004 07:31 pm, David P James wrote:
> > On Sat 24 April 2004 17:09, rh wrote:
> > > The only problem is, I do not have a 'receive' account set up as
> > > kMail does not actually do the retrieving. I kind of thought this may
> > > be the problem and had read somewhere that a solution might be to set
> > > up a 'receive' accout in Kmail to just retrieve local mail with
> > > interval checking enabled. Unfortunately, I have had no luck at
> > > getting kMail to do that either.
> >
> > Just a sec - are you having procmail deliver mail into ~/Mail, where
> > KMail puts its mail? If so, you really shouldn't do that. It should be
> > delivered to the usual place /var/mail/user or whatever and have KMail
> > retrieve it from there.
>
> Actually I am doing that. I will take your word that that is not a good
> thing to do but could you explain why for me? And if I do have KMail
> retrieve it from var/mail/user or /var/spool/mail/user or whereever, do I
> set up KMail with just a local account?

Because you should not have two processes accessing the same box at the same
time (this is why mbox is technically a bad idea).  KMail doesn't know when a
box is written to "behind its back," thus doesn't know when to update, or
what's new. (It is not written to expect its own files to be changed by
another process. See messages about two KMail instances accessing the same
mail box. Hint: bad idea.)  When it is monitoring a file for new messages (a
file that it *knows* is supposed to change), then it can determine when
messages get added, and pull them in.

--
Joshua J. Kugler
Fairbanks, Alaska