List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail and new mail
From:       rh <reg.hughson () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2004-04-24 21:09:26

On April 24, 2004 04:01 pm, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Samstag, 24. April 2004 20:54, rh wrote:
> > I have fetchmail retrieving my mail from a pop account, delivering it to
> > procmail which distributes it to the appropriate maildir directories.
> > Mail is arriving as it should. However, whenever I start kMail, it does
> > not automatically show me which folders have new mail unless I 'click' on
> > each folder. Obviously, this is a bit inconvient if you have to click on
> > each of your 30 folders (or more) just to see if you have any new mail.
> >
> > Also, similairily, if I leave kMail open, how do I get it to rescan the
> > folders once in a while to check for new mail thats been delivered. I was
> > using balsa for a bit and it had a rescan feature that worked for this
> > situation but I don't see a similiar function in kMail.
>
> hmm,
> I have a very similar setup here - using fetchmail/procmail to
> retrieve/filter my mails from pop accounts, with the difference that mails
> are
> not distributed into  local folders, but to my local imap server.
> works great for me - new mail is always marked in the correct folder
> upon arrival.
> did you enable the 'check mail frequently' with time interval
> in settings-network-retrieval (translated from german ;-) for each account
> ?

The only problem is, I do not have a 'receive' account set up as kMail does
not actually do the retrieving. I kind of thought this may be the problem and
had read somewhere that a solution might be to set up a 'receive' accout in
Kmail to just retrieve local mail with interval checking enabled.
Unfortunately, I have had no luck at getting kMail to do that either.

However, in another reply Injo Klocker (thank you, BTW) wrote:

"The only valid suggestion is: Don't use procmail to filter your mail,
but use KMail. This is also mentioned in the FAQs in KMail's manual.

Unfortunately, KMail currently doesn't watch or detect new mail in
maildir folders. This might change in the future."

As I really don't want to do this , I may try setting up a local imap server
as you have done. Since I do receive a lot of email everyday, I like the idea
of having background processess pick up the mail with out having to leave
user logged in and my mail client open.

Thanks.