List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Re: KMail hanging during filter through
From:       David P James <dpjames () rogers ! com>
Date:       2004-04-16 22:07:11

On Fri 16 April 2004 17:52, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2004 23:32, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > I just started using spamassassing with KMail (following Tom
> > Chance's howto), and it's slowed mail fetching down enormously -
> > and also reduced spam to a trickle, so who's counting. What is
> > irritating is that while waiting for spamassassing to process a
> > message, the UI is totally locked; this also means that this
> > composer window is occasionally unusable because of background mail
> > fetching.
> >
> > Is this a known problem? Some setting I can futz with?
>
> Some suggestions to ease the pain:
> - Use spamc if you don't do so already.
> - First filter all messages which are most likely no spam, e.g. all
> messages from KDE mailing lists, messages from friends, etc. Only
> then pipe the remaining messages through spamassassin.

Or use bogofilter instead of SpamAssassin  ;)
http://david.jamesnet.ca/kde/kmail_bogofilter.html
There's even a Dutch translation at
http://www.kde.nl/doc/kmail-bogofilter/

I don't run into lockup problems with KMail+Bogofilter. I've set the
threshold to .70 and that gets just about every piece of incoming spam
and still avoids false positives (most of the time).

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario