List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Message status icons -- what do the two ??'s
From:       Ingo =?windows-1252?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-09 21:22:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 09 April 2004 20:37, Tom Emerson wrote:
> This is one of those things that isn't quite annoying enough to write
> a full bug/wish report, but still tickling the edge of my curiousity:
>  What do the various "status" icons mean?  Some are pretty obvious
> [replied, forwarded, etc.] some seem contrived [ham vs. spam],

You are not forced to use the spam/ham status.

> some
> seem overloaded [isn't that the "filter" icon you're using for "watch
> this thread"?]

"watch this thread" are two eyes.

> and others are simply not explained at all. (the
> question marks -- I can understand a single mark for "haven't seen it
> yet", but why two?)

Disable Appearance->Headers->Show crypto icons if you don't want those
icons. OTOH you seem to be using encryption (or at least signing).

> What I *would* put into the "wishlist" category is that the number of
> active icons should NOT change the width of the icon column.

There's no separate icon column. Why? Because it would be mostly empty
and unnecessarily waste a lot of space. By prepending the icons to the
subject no space is wasted.

> Unfortunately, it appears you are pre-pending the icon to the actual
> subject "text", so the icons aren't really in a column "of their own"
> [and by extension, it makes it difficult to sort/group by icon...]

Click multiple times on the Subject header to switch between sorting by
Subject and sorting by status.

> Another possible side-effect of prepending the icons is that they
> sometimes get "slightly corrupted" on the display -- the bottom two
> or three rows of the icons appears to be semi-random,

This bug has been fixed. It was caused by different icon sizes together
with an obvious bug in QListView or KListView. In KDE 3.2.2 all icons
have the same size and thus the painting problem is gone.

> and as I switch
> from one active message to another, the icons will change slightly

I also noticed this. There's nothing we can do about it. It's probably
just another bug in the icon paint routine of QListView or KListView.

> [hard to describe in words -- this is something I'd have to make a
> few screen-shots to show]  I think I've mentioned this in the past
> [waaaay back in like 1.1/1.2 release] and the probable cause was
> "display driver" related [may still be, but why only this one
> program?]  However, this is only "slightly annoying" -- the rest of
> the icons are visible enough to understand what they are, so I pretty
> much ignore the random dots...

Regards,
Ingo