List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Palm on yellowdog
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-16 8:10:38

[cc to kdepim-users, where this really belongs. please don't send me
questions directly - i see them anyway on the mailing list, and there's
more eyes out there that can give you an answer, in case i'm asleep.]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Maurice Cepeda-Lusseau wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out if the why my Palm 125 w/ USB cradle can't sync on
> YDL 3.0.1.  I made it sync easily enough (and I'm new to Linux) on
> mandrake-ppc (and loved it) but YDL seems to be an increadible challenge not
> to mention the time.

Well that's good to hear.

> Is there somethong inherently broken w/ kpilot on YDL? (BTW, JPilot doesn't
> work either [I've been online seemingly for hrs w/ Jpilot trying to figure it
> out], nor does evolution's Pilot Link.)

I don't think anyone has ever reported working with PPC before. I know
KPilot works on x86, amd64, and for serial ports on SPARC/Solaris. So
you're going where no man has gone before, eh. I'm so happy, now I'm
answering questions about Palm hardware I don't have syncing with an OS I
don't have running on hardware I don't have. That said, the following is
what you can try (it's pretty much what the FAQ on the KPilot website says
- or if it doesn't say this, it should):

1) Log in - preferrably on a text console - as root.
2) tail -f /var/log/messages
3) Plug in the Pilot, hit the hotsync button.
4) Watch the log. You should see something about /dev/ttyUSB0 and/or
/dev/ttyUSB1.
5) Let the sync time out.
6) ^C to break out of tail.
7) pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -L
8) Hit enter, notice that it complains that the device is not configured.
9) pilot-xfer again, but don't hit enter. Timing is everything.
10) Hit the hotsync button, say "vive l'alberta libre (et fou)", and hit
enter.
11) You ought to get a listing of the databases on your Pilot. If not,
experiment a little with the timing between hitting the button and hitting
enter. Substitute other phrases. Perhaps try /dev/ttyUSB0 instead.
12) Once you've got listing working, configure kpilot or jpilot to use
that same /dev/ttyUSB device.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE