List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Re: Kontact 3.2b2 Feedback
From:       Dylan Carlson <absinthe () retrovertigo ! com>
Date:       2003-12-18 4:16:07

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 19:31 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> In theory nothing prevents Kopete from being embedded into Kontact. IIRC
> then we contemplated this idea and reached the decision that it won't
> be done for KDE 3.2. But if someone implements this for KDE 3.3 then
> there's little reason not to add this possibility. Note that Kontact is
> basically just a container into which almost anything could be plugged
> into (provided a few necessary classes are implemented).

I look forward to that someday.   It's an integration point that most people
would take advantage of if it was there.  Right now it works from Kopete ->
KAB but not the other way.  (unless I missed something).

I tend to believe the more data applications can share -- especially when it
comes to addresses/contacts -- the more useful all of the PIM apps become.
I find that as I add more data to the address book, I easier ways to pull
that data out quickly for a variety of different situations.  Right now
it's not so easy.  It's not horrible but there's a lot of room for
improvement.

> > * Right-click menus for icons ... which would bring up, at the very
> > least, a Configure option for each.
> > 	- For Mail it would have a New Mail, Check Mail, Empty Trash,
> > 	Compact Folders, Expire Folders
>
> New Mail and Check Mail make sense. Note that New Mail is already
> available via the left-most icon in the taskbar (from any component).
> Empty Trash, Compact Folders and Expire Folders IMO don't make sense in
> the context menu of the Mail component icon.

How about Check Mail In... as well?

> > * Access to Konqueror Bookmarks from within Kontact

> Why would you like to see this? In which use case does this make sense?
> Sure, I can imagine that it could be useful sometimes. But it would
> look a bit out of place in Kontact (IMO).

Ss I think about this, you're right.  This would be more appropriate to
extend Konqueror to mail bookmarks and so forth.

> Watching web pages for changes is IMO completely out of scope for
> Kontact.

I agree.

Cheers,