List:       kde3alpha
Subject:    [Kde3alpha] Unable to compile KDE from CVS.
From:       "Philippe A" <z77y16 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-05-19 20:22:06

Hello everybody,

I am always encountering the same two problems when trying to build KDE from
CVS with kde-cvsbuild. Would someone please lend me a hand?

My first problem is a cvs update problem. When I have no source downloaded
at all, kde-cvsbuild downloads packages corectly. However, when I run
kde-cvsbuild with some packages in place already, it complains with lots of
messages like:

cvs checkout: move away arts/admin/ChangeLog; it is in the way
C admin/ChangeLog

What does this message mean and what can I do to avoid it? Why can't I
update from CVS at will? I am updating with CVS and not cvsup (for some
reasons cvs is doing something bad to NILO).

My second problem is much more serious : I simply can't get KDE to build.
The compilations seems to always stumble on kdelibs and always with the same
messages:

---
make[4]: *** No rule to make target
`../../../interfaces/ktexteditor/libktexteditor.la', needed by
`ktexteditor_kdatatool.la.closure'.
make[4]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate/plugins/kdatatool'
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate/plugins'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate/plugins'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate/plugins'
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs/kate'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cvs/kde-build/kdelibs'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error during make!
---

Please help me beforeI go mad! My kde-cvsbuild is currently configured to
download and build the following packages (in that very order):
prefetch="kde-common"
basepkgs="arts kdelibs kdebase kdesdk"

I tried other combinations of packages but nothing worked. I did try to
build kdelibs first but it still didn't work. I even tried not to download
and build kde-common, but the problem remained the same.

I am trying to build on redhat9, if that matters. It reminds me I had
problems building wine until I did it --with-ntpl. Could it be the same
problem with KDE? Now I think I shoud simply try it ...

I did build QT successfully. That does bring me relief. A little relief.

Any help is welcome! Thanks in advance!