List:       kde3alpha
Subject:    [Kde3alpha] Libtool induced build failure with gcc-3.1
From:       "Roger W.Brown" <bregor () anusf ! anu ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-03-06 9:48:31

  Hi,

      The recent separation of kdelibs and arts meant
  that I had to perform an entire re-build of KDE-3
  using gcc-3.1  This is now complete and seems to be
  satisfactory, apart from some kdemultimedia defects
  (that mat not be related to gcc-3.1) and an irksome
  aspect of libtool.

  It seems that a "feature" libtool may cause very
  large .la files to be generated, that contain many
  redundant entries.  For instance building KOffice
  produces several .la files that are larger than
  10 Kbyte.  These files are cause the loader (ld)
  to fail.  Once the redundant entries were removed,
  the KDE-3 builds run to completion.

  I reported this to the gcc mail list.  (There was
  also a similar report on that list that I had
  overlooked, due to a mistake of reading my web-
  browser's representation of ".la" as "Ja" and
  thinking that it would be related to Java.)

  Most replies were helpful and informative. A reply
  from Alexandre Oliva suggests that it all may be
  due to an old version of libtool.

  So to my question: Can the readers of this list add
  further comments/advice directed toward ensuring that
  KDE-3 builds run to completion without the need for
  handmade corrections ?

  Thanks,

          Roger Brown

See:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01871.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg01870.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-03/msg00004.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-03/msg00011.html

System ref:
KDE sources:   various recent KDE-3 CVS downloads
O/S:           linux-2.4.18-pre8(SMP)
Compiler:      gcc-3.1 recent CVS download
Binutils:      binutils-2.11.93.0.2(HJL)
Libc:          GNU libc-2.2.5 (CVS download)