List:       kde2-porting
Subject:    Re: running klyx (and other KDE 1.1.x applications under KDE 2.0)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-12-10 18:31:42

On Sunday 10 December 2000 18:20, Félix Pedrera García wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a non-experienced linux user from spain, and I've got some "problems"
> with my new KDE 2.0.1 installation.
> I'm running an EsWare Linux 2.0 distribution (wich is based on RedHat 6.2)
> and I downloaded KDE 2.0.1 prepared to run on RedHat 6.X systems.
> I managed to make KDE 2.0.1 work, but the behavior of my pentium MMX 166 MHz
> (with 32 MB RAM)  is slower, wich I suppose is because this new KDE requires
> more memory. Some applications like Kpackager closes by itself, with no
> intervention from me but trying to install a package. Anyway, my biggest
> interest is to know how to run KDE 1.1.2. applications under KDE 2.0,
> specially "Klyx" wich I use a lot. I tried to install it, but it requires
> old libraries not supported by KDE 2.0.1 (I guess). I think there is a
> package that comes with Mandrake 7.2 distribution that allows to run KDE
> 1.1.2 aplications under KDE 2.0.1, but I don't know its name

kde1-compat.

> and if It would work in my RedHat 6.2-like system
Not sure... I wouldn't bet on that.

IMHO you should ask RedHat to do something similar. I'm surprised
they haven't, there are many kde 1 apps that are not ported to kde2 yet.

> without the additional installation of
> other Mandrake packages (such as RMPdrake and so on)
>
> Is there a way to run klyx on KDE 2.0.1?

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to run two different
versions of KDE at the same time (you only need to install them in different
prefixes and switch between the two...). Not easy if all packages you can get
install kde in /usr :(

PS: this is really off topic for kde2-porting, which is about PORTING applications
to KDE 2.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/