List:       kde-zine
Subject:    Re: [Kde-zine] I am home. How do we proceed?
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-07-12 18:09:07

<snip>
> Hi,
>
> I agree with you 100% Tina.  I think the first articles we just use
> plain old HTML and have it be web-only.  I don't mean have it be crappy,
> just don't worry about the complicated backend, pdf, ps, printers stuff
> until later.
Well once more, this is my _personal_ opinion and not a general one.
The layout is set, thanks to subj. There could be static pages, which means,
yes, it is possible. But please refer to my other mail to understand, why I
do not recommend it.

> The way volunteer projects survive is if people can see their results.
> Since you do not get a paycheck the reward for doing the work is seeing
> the results.  Certainly for the web maintainers this is a longer-term
> curve -- there are no results and the work is not done -- but for the
> article writers this is very unfriendly.
There are no articles. The only ones that were written in the beginning hype
of the Zine, far too early imho, have been published elsewhere, which is fine.

<snip>
> Plus I think the backend people can, once all the XML stuff is set up,
> fairly easily go through and convert the HTML articles to XML, I'm sure
> there won't be that many.

no, that is not the case. Transforming all the old, static HTML into the
proposed XML backend will be handwork. Of course certain tags can be
trasnlated accoring to the tags.html in the xml module, but the main thing,
which makes the XML backend better must be marked up by hand. That means
get auto translated, but all headers need to be added by hand and most and
for all the more interesting things such a keyword tags Xlinks or any other
thing that requires the understanding of a human brain behind it.
Now imagine it takes us 6 months to write this backend, because people will
be cauhg tup between two things, a running Zine which must be tended to and
wrting a backend. There will be alot to convert then

> Once we have stories rolling out, interest will be sparked and I think
> we will get more stories.
That's not my problem. Right now I/we need no writers as the first and most
important thing. Give me coders.
<snip>
and i strongly oppose, as usual?
But still. I step back as I stated before, This is your deicsion now.
-d
--
Nisi Defectum Haud Reficindium