List:       kde-zine
Subject:    [Kde-zine] Self introduction
From:       Alan <alan.blundell () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2001-06-25 0:33:19

Hi.

I just subscribed to the list and received the 'Welcome' email, which I
thought was pitched very well.  I'm asked to introduce myself.  Fair enough:

I'm Alan (as you might guess from the email address ;-)

I was very interested in the idea of the Zine when I first read about it on
the dot (I think).  Just at that time, though, there were some other things I
needed to concentrate on (not connected with computing at all), so I've just
got round to coming back.

I live in England.  I'm not a software developer by trade, although I've
written a few things over time in 6502 assembler, dBase, and (ok, I admit it!
- Basic  (BBC Micro and then MS Visual Basic).  I've also dabbled with Delphi
on Windows in my job  (as a 'sideline', I'm administrator of a WinNT network
with ~110 users) and experimented with C.  I've done a fair bit of training
for office staff in using PCs, designed applications and written user
documentation (none of this is on a big scale!).  I used to run a software
library (for the BBC Micro) and have written articles which have been
published in several UK computing magazines (none in the last few years,
though - too busy bringing up children).  My 'real' job is nothing to do with
computing at all.

I 'discovered' Linux around RedHat 5, but for the last few upgrades I've been
with Mandrake from 6.0 to currently 8.0.  I still have a copy of Windows on my home PC ('95
variety) for the sake of family use of MS Word and the usual games, but my
youngest daugher (age 11) is now quite accomplished in using KDE.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know about me!

What do I think of the zine?  - There are already lots of computing
magazines, but most of them are irrelevant because of the emphasis on MS
Windows.  There's lots of Linux/KDE reading on the web, but what I'd like to
see is a print magazine I can read in bed, or on the train, or in the garden
at home, or wherever.  Sitting staring at a monitor just doesn't have the
same relaxing effect.

What can I contribute? - Don't know for sure, yet.  I tried to read the list
archive, but didn't manage to access them (not sure if I have a problem with
cookies - I'm enabling them, but I have junkbuster & wwwoffle as proxies
which might confuse things a bit ...)  So, I don't have much to go on, yet..

I'm willing and keen to help, I can write to a standard which seems to have
been good enough in the past, and there are probably a few ideas bubbling in
there somewhere.  Give me a bit of time to digest what's happening.

Thanks for reading, if you got this far!