List:       kde-zine
Subject:    Re: [Kde-zine] New attempt...
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       2001-06-05 11:46:19

> I was kinda shocked when I read Christopher Molnar's post to the list, but I
> think I can understand him for some reason.

I can explain my reaction, and I will put some comments into this
message as well....

First, I read about Darians decision in the list, I had no warning this
was comming, I have no idea what is going on. The person who has my
admin passwords, admin rights and so-on just imformed the world that he
is changing projects.

The machine that kde-zine runs on houses more than just kde-zine, it
includes company financial records, etc. The lack of communication, the
lack of advance notice presents a security risk. All that I did was to
shut off admin privilages for those that had the passwords and generate
some sort of protection for the rest of the machine. I do not think
anyone can blame me for this.

If someone wants to take over the role of CVS admin, and we exchange
some email to gain a level of trust, I will enable some of the
functionality again. First, I need to know EXACTLY who needs what
access.

> Anne-Marie, Darian and me talked about tht Zine on IRC afterwards.

Hmmm... this is one of the problems. 3 or 4 people working on the
project, do you think that maybe someone could have shot an email in my
direction and invited me to join this conversation. There was obviously
concern about my message. This is waht I mean about there being a
consistant lack of communication. You want the resources, I want to
provide them, but this project has been a very closed community,
including not including the person providing the resources.

> I think we came to the following:
> There is a little "kernel" [(c) annma ;-) ] of ppl who are really interested
> in the zine anyways. This kernel will hopefully bring the zine up to a state
> where it's really working and other people will take part, too.
> We came to the thing, that if a project (or better: this project) has really
> launched once, other ppl will join it. Nobody would join a sleeping / dieing
> project.

This is why my message is saying, "use it or loose it".

> That's why I'd like to fetch up Darian's last two postings:
> I'd be very glad if some more ppl would take active part in this project.
> IMHO it's very good to have (large) discussions on issues concerning the
> zine, but the discussions should be followed by any kind of action, say
> building templates or whatever.

The cvs remains active, as I have said, it is available. I am going to
place a changelog mail generator into it so we can see in the list how
things are changing and progressing. I should have done this weeks ago.

> I will have finished my exams by the end of the next week, after that I will
> be able to put some work in it. Darian and John Paul Schwinghammer and some
> others have already offered to work on the backend, what I think is the most
> important for the moment, as IMHO ppl will have more energy to write articles
> if they are displayed somewhere than if this article only lies/dies somewhere
> in a CVS.
> So everybody is asked again to give his/her wishes of tags that are used for
> the framework. Please take this as a kind of brainstorming, shoot with
> everything you can imagine, though some things could be mentioned more than
> once and others will be ignored/replaced by more useful tags/elements.
>
> I would be very happy if there would be any kind of echo to this posting,
> even if it's only "I'm alive" ;-)
>
> By the way: I have just registered the channel #kzine (sorry, I just wanted a
> short name, could also have been #kdezine) on irc.openprojects.net, where we
> could meet and discuss some things.

If anyone wants to talk about things I will be on and off all day.
(after I get back from my morning run).

-Chris