List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Creating a plan to action for the KDE web presence
From:       Michael Howell <mhowell123 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-31 3:58:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 30 October 2008 20:35:48 Cornelius
Schumacher wrote:
> (Sorry for the long mail, but we are going to tackle a
humongous task ;-)

> Following up on the IRC meeting, and some of the
discussions afterwards, I
> went through all web sites hosted under subdomains of
kde.org domain and
> tried to create an overview and some ideas how we could
approach a refresh
> of the overall KDE web presence.
>
> While doing this it became apparent to me that with
techbase and userbase
> we actually have two sites which would fit very well to host
a lot of the
> content which is now fragmented over an amazingly big
number of mostly
> outdated sites. They also would perfectly address the
demand to have the
> web content more easily editable by all community
members, especially those
> who don't want to work with svn.
>
> There are also a couple of recurring elements which are
used very
> frequently. These are:
> - Application presentations. We probably could win a lot, if
we would have
> something like a standard info box for applications on
userbase, together
> with a consistent way to integrate the usual info like general
description,
> feature list, screenshots, links to other resources
> - News items. A lot of sites have news items, either
manually maintained,
> through a somewhat tooled news feed, or by integrating
news feeds from
> other sites. Maybe it would be worth to think about a
central way to
> provide KDE related news, e.g. through the dot. We could
tag items and have
> specialized feeds for the specialized sites. This might make
it easier to
> have an easy and constantly updated source of news about
KDE as a whole and
> individual groups as well.
> - Community and subcommunity info. We have a lot of sub
communities which
> work as groups with their own identities within KDE. This is
reflected in
> community info on various websites, e.g. lists of people,
info about
> meetings, team-specific discussion areas, etc. We need to
find a place for
> this kind of data.
> - A couple of subdomains just redirect to an external web
site. It would be
> good to come up with a consistent set of rules how and
when we do this.
> - We need a set of guidelines and rules what we allow on
web sites under
> the kde.org domain in terms of licenses, advertisement,
sponsoring, etc.
> The kde.org domain is owned by the KDE e.V. and their are
certain legal
> obligations and responsibilities which come with that. This
is somewhat
> independent of the refresh of the KDE web presence in
terms of content and
> design, but it's still important to keep in mind. This issue
will be
> addressed by the KDE e.V.
>
> So my general proposal would be to:
> - Move most of the content to userbase and techbase. This
would make it
> easier to maintain, we could reuse common infrastructure
and it would
> improve the quantity and quality of content on userbase
and techbase. It
> would also take care of at least part of the translated
content as you can
> already see on userbase.
> - Those teams who want to maintain an own site, because it
fits better
> their workflow or helps them to keep their own identity,
continue to do so.
> We are a large and diverse community, so their certainly is
no single
> solution which fits everywhere. But of course we still should
try to limit
> the amount of duplicated work, and offer common
infrastructure where
> possible.
> - For the community-oriented content we currently have
techbase/projects.
> This is probably mostly fine. But maybe we should think
about a separate
> community wiki (communitybase.kde.org?). There are
special needs for
> community content and it might help to keep things clean.
That said, I
> think for now the techbase/projects solution also does the
trick.
> - There are some ideas about more dynamic content,
aggregation of community
> and sub-community content, etc. We don't have this yet,
but of course it
> would be great to go into such a direction. I would make
this part of a
> second step of the KDE web presence refresh. Once we
have the existing
> content under control we can think more about fancy new
ways to enhance the
> community experience. But it's something to keep in mind.
> - We certainly want to continue to use all or most of the
subdomains we
> have. This means that we need some sort of landing page
for them. This
> could be a dedicated userbase or techbase page for each
domain, or it could
> be a separate system. It think we have to explore what the
best solution is
> in terms of user experience and community needs. But
again we should try to
> limit duplicated and additional work here.
> - The design of userbase and techbase has some
limitations. Especially the
> fixed width layout is causing a couple of problems and is
repelling some
> users and contributors, as it for example makes it hard to
properly quote
> code examples. It would be good to come up with an
updated version of the
> design, which takes into account the experience we have
gained with it over
> the time. This would also stress that we are going to start a
new phase of
> the KDE web presence
>
> After this long introduction and general thoughts now here
is the list of
> individual subdomains and my comments on what they are
and how we could
> proceed with them. Be gentle, if something is not accurate
or there are
> different plans. It's over a hundred sites, so we will need a
bit of time
> to get everything right.
>

> Central Sites
> =============
>
> http://www.kde.org
>
> - KDE home page
> - entry point for everything else
> - Capacity
>
> http://userbase.kde.org
>
> - Central user page
> - Mediawiki
> - keep as is
>
> http://techbase.kde.org
> http://devel-home.kde.org
> http://developer.kde.org
>
> - Technical information
> - Focused on developers of 3rd party apps and developers
of KDE itself
> - keep as is
> - move all developer related content here
> - Mediawiki
>
> http://dot.kde.org
> http://news.kde.org
>
> - Maintained, in the process of being moved to Drupal
> - News entries moderated
> - User comments (would be good to have them community
rated)
> [...]
> http://akademy2007.kde.org
> http://akademy2008.kde.org
> http://conference2004.kde.org
> http://conference2005.kde.org
> http://conference2006.kde.org
> http://conference2007.kde.org
> http://conference2008.kde.org
> http://www.conference2004.kde.org
> http://www.conference2005.kde.org
> http://www.conference2006.kde.org
> http://www.conference2007.kde.org
> http://www.conference2008.kde.org
>
> - Old Akademies
> - Keep as is as historical data
> - Capacity
>
> http://akademy.kde.org
>
> - Redirect to current Akademy
>
> http://camp.kde.org
>
> - Maintained
> - Keep as is
> - Camp KDE
>
> http://community.kde.org
>
> - Community working group
> - Drupal
> - community content
>
> http://discover.kde.org
>
> - Unfinished
> - Foucs on attracting new users
>
> http://people.kde.org
>
> - redirects to www.behindkde.org
> - community content
>
> http://worldwide.kde.org
>
> - special application
> - keep as is
> - Capacity
>
> http://forum.kde.org
>
> - Forum site
> - keep as is
>
> http://planet.kde.org
>
> - special application
> - keep as is
>
> http://radio.kde.org
>
> - podcasts and videos
> - keep as is
>

> Applications and Application Suites
> ===================================
>
> http://konsole.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://printing.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://games.kde.org
>
> - maintained
> - keep as is
> - could be moved to userbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://kooka.kde.org (Scanner Manager)
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://noatun.kde.org (Noatun Media Player)
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://multimedia.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://utils.kde.org (Utilities)
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://extragear.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://kbabel.kde.org (KBabel )
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://kdesvn-build.kde.org ( Build KDE from SVN Sources)
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://edu.kde.org (Educational Software )
>
> - maintained
> - keep as is
> - could be moved to userbase and techbase

Jabber...) )

> [...]
> - community content
>
> http://decibel.kde.org
>
> - move to techbase
>
> http://pim.kde.org
> http://kdepim.kde.org
>
> - Move to techbase
> - Community content
> - Capacity
>
> http://nepomuk.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://research.kde.org
>
> - redirects to techbase.kde.org/Research
>
> http://solid.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://windows.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - community content
>
> http://freebsd.kde.org (FreeBSD Packagers )
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://solaris.kde.org (Solaris Packagers )
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://women.kde.org (Women in KDE )
>
> - move to techbase
> - move interviews to people.kde.org
> - community content
> - Capacity
>
> http://mac.kde.org
>
> - move to userbase and techbase
>
> http://svg.kde.org
>
> - move to techbase
> - Capacity
>

> Translated and local sites
> ============================
>
> http://br.kde.org
> http://cat.kde.org
> http://czechia.kde.org
> http://de.kde.org
> http://es.kde.org
> http://fr.kde.org
> http://il.kde.org
> http://in.kde.org
> http://ir.kde.org
> http://is.kde.org
> http://jamaica.kde.org
> http://korea.kde.org
> http://kr.kde.org
> http://ro.kde.org
>

> Special Sites
> =============
>
> http://docs.kde.org (Searchable Software Documentation)
>
> - special app providing manuals online
> - keep as is for now
> - think again in context of KDE Documentation NG
>
> http://lxr.kde.org (Source Cross reference )
>
> - special appliaction
> - keep as is
>
> http://websvn.kde.org (WebSVN )
>
> - special application
> - keep as is
>
> http://bugs.kde.org (Bug Database )
>
> - special application
> - keep as is

> - mailing list archive
> - drop it in favor of markmail.org?
>
> http://download.kde.org (Downloads )
>
> - move to userbase
> - Capacity
>
> http://commitfilter.kde.org
>
> - special application
> - keep as is
>
> http://groupware.kde.org
> http://kolab.kde.org
>
> - redirects to kolab.org
>
> http://mailman.kde.org

> http://newstuff.kde.org
>
> - special service
> - move rest of content to userbase techbase

Looks great! It'd be good to see more uniformity come to the
KDE sites.

--
Michael Howell
mhowell123@gmail.com