List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: translation extension? (was: Re: techbase wiki question)
From:       Stefan Monov <logixoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-05 0:23:54

> I had a look: If we do not want i18n templates at all, we have to add a
> <translate lang="de,fr"/> to the english page and all its translations. To
> keep that in sync is not so good. Example: If we now add a 'se', we'd have
> to change all the pages individually to keep them synchronized - this
> clearly will not work.
(it does work for Wikimedia but they use bots such as YurikBot to ease the
interlinking strain. yeah we don't want that.)

> So we have two approaches:
> 1. Use templates
> The <translate...> will go into a template to be reuable, but that is what
> we have now.
Hmm, doesn't this _still_ have the same disadvantage of keeping things in
sync?

> 2. Hard code the number of languages in the <translate/> template. Example:
> You translate the MainPage, thus you add <translate/> to the MainPage and
> MainPage_(de). Say we have 20 languages, then the MainPage and
> MainPage_(de) will have a bar with those 20 languages, all but de and en
> links to non-existant pages. This is a bit fuzzy imo.
Not sure what you mean by fuzzy, but it would certainly irritate visitors.

> do you have other ideas?
Yea: use http://ie.to/?5872 to make sure we don't get redlinks.

BTW, I checked out the Wikimedia Meta situation. It's a freaky mess of manual
templates and links. Good thing that's not where we're heading :)

Cheers,
Stefan.

[note to self: submit our i18n mechanism to the list of MediaWiki extensions
when it's finished. I'm bewildered nobody's done this before.]