List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: techbase wiki question
From:       Stefan Monov <logixoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-27 20:05:03

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:21:46 am Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2007, Stefan Monov wrote:
> > On Friday 23 March 2007 01:11:52 pm Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > > To tell the truth, I/we haven't yet checked how translation works in a
> > > sane way - especially with regard to subpages.
> > > (1) de:Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs or
> > > (2) Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs/de
> > > (3) Development/Tutorials/de:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs
> > > (4) ...?
> > Most Wikimedia projects (and other big wikis like opensuse.org) handle
> > this by subdomains which, I'm pretty certain, point to separate MediaWiki
> > installations. So, for the sake of consistency:
> > (4)
> > de.techbase.kde.org/Entwicklung/Übungs/Shell_Skriptierung_mitt_KDE_Dialog
> >s (terrible German I know :)
> I think managing several wikis for different languages will never work: You
> would need a maintainer for every single wiki, from the admin side and
> content wise.
Remember, all we're discussing is the URL (well, that and per-subdomain i18n
for the MediaWiki UI). Whether it's de.techbase.kde.org/blah or
techbase.kde.org/blah_(de), content has to be maintained by someone
nonetheless. With Volkert's scheme l10ned pages don't become any more
manageable as it is still necessary for someone to understand them (their
language) so as to edit them adequately.
One who's up to maintaining de.techbase.kde.org/blah will naturally be up to
maintaining techbase.kde.org/blah_(de), the only difference being the URL.
Furthermore, I think a single person -- hi danimo -- can admin all languages,
as described in
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family

Again, I'm only behind de.techbase.kde.org for reasons of consistency with
other wikis.

Quick afterthought: users would then need separate accounts for each language,
unless we install the OpenID extension.

> > > How good will the synchronisation work if the original text will be
> > > changed?
> > In the above projects it happens, well, naturally - whenever someone
> > feels like synching different language versions of the same page, they do
> > it. Yeah, it's not great, but obviously a formal requirement to update
> > all l10ns when you update one wouldn't work. Some kind of "the German
> > version got edited, please verify that the English one is in sync"
> > MediaWiki mechanism would be very beneficial though.
> Well, we have to live with it, it's good enough I think ;)
Sure, letting l10n work on a natural basis does work for Wikipedia.

> > > How will a user find a translations of a page?
> > Just like in Wikipedia =)
> And how do they implement the additional sidebar where you get links to
> other languages?
> The above link adds a translation frame itself. Is there an easier way
Interwiki links (see above link) that are recognized as ISO language codes get
automagically thrown into the sidebar. :)

Cheers,
Stefan