List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: techbase wiki question
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-26 21:21:46

On Friday 23 March 2007, Stefan Monov wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2007 01:11:52 pm Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 March 2007, Mark Volkert wrote:
> > > Hope I am right here?
> > > There is no contact link on the Main_page.
> > >
> > > I would like to convert a german tutorial from html to wiki code.
> > > I know how to that, but I don't know the naming rules.
> > > The page I am talking about is
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KD
> > >E_Di alogs
> > >
> > > Should I use "De:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs" like the amarok
> > > wiki is doing it?
> > > Or "Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs_(german)"?
> >
> > To tell the truth, I/we haven't yet checked how translation works in a
> > sane way - especially with regard to subpages.
> > (1) de:Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs or
> > (2) Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs/de
> > (3) Development/Tutorials/de:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs
> > (4) ...?
>
> Most Wikimedia projects (and other big wikis like opensuse.org) handle
> this by subdomains which, I'm pretty certain, point to separate MediaWiki
> installations. So, for the sake of consistency:
> (4)
> de.techbase.kde.org/Entwicklung/Übungs/Shell_Skriptierung_mitt_KDE_Dialog
>s (terrible German I know :)

I think managing several wikis for different languages will never work: You
would need a maintainer for every single wiki, from the admin side and
content wise.

> > I'm not sure whether mediawiki has a common translation system at all
> > ;)
>
> It doesn't, as different projects have different requirements.
> For instance, the (somewhat) official Wikimedia Meta can't afford to have
> its project organization in separate wikis as this would lead to chaos.
> Thus it uses pretty much your (2) variant from above, moreover skipping
> the /de bit when no ambiguity is caused.

As example we now have:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs

> > How good will the synchronisation work if the original text will be
> > changed?
>
> In the above projects it happens, well, naturally - whenever someone
> feels like synching different language versions of the same page, they do
> it. Yeah, it's not great, but obviously a formal requirement to update
> all l10ns when you update one wouldn't work. Some kind of "the German
> version got edited, please verify that the English one is in sync"
> MediaWiki mechanism would be very beneficial though.

Well, we have to live with it, it's good enought I think ;)

> > How will a user find a translations of a page?
>
> Just like in Wikipedia =)

And how do they implement the additional sidebar where you get links to
other languages?
The above link adds a translation frame itself. Is there an easier way

> > How much will be translated?
>
> As much as possible, with no bottom limit.
>
> > If it is pretty much everything this sounds like almost copying the
> > wiki
>
> (one could even argue whether to setup extra wikis) ;)
> Yup. As I said above, extra wikis is what's usually done.
> Then again, I imagine the administrative burden is needlessly high given
> that all we (I?) want is move the "de" qualifier from the URL path to the
> the subdomain space.

See above, not maintainable imo :)

> Hope this gives food for thought.

Yup, thanks a lot for your input.