List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: techbase wiki question
From:       Stefan Monov <logixoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-23 17:15:16

On Friday 23 March 2007 01:11:52 pm Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Thursday 22 March 2007, Mark Volkert wrote:
> > Hope I am right here?
> > There is no contact link on the Main_page.
> >
> > I would like to convert a german tutorial from html to wiki code.
> > I know how to that, but I don't know the naming rules.
> > The page I am talking about is
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Di
> >alogs
> >
> > Should I use "De:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs" like the amarok wiki
> > is doing it?
> > Or "Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs_(german)"?
>
> To tell the truth, I/we haven't yet checked how translation works in a sane
> way - especially with regard to subpages.
> (1) de:Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs or
> (2) Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs/de
> (3) Development/Tutorials/de:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs
> (4) ...?
Most Wikimedia projects (and other big wikis like opensuse.org) handle this by
subdomains which, I'm pretty certain, point to separate MediaWiki
installations. So, for the sake of consistency:
(4) de.techbase.kde.org/Entwicklung/Übungs/Shell_Skriptierung_mitt_KDE_Dialogs
(terrible German I know :)

> I'm not sure whether mediawiki has a common translation system at all ;)
It doesn't, as different projects have different requirements.
For instance, the (somewhat) official Wikimedia Meta can't afford to have its
project organization in separate wikis as this would lead to chaos. Thus it
uses pretty much your (2) variant from above, moreover skipping the /de bit
when no ambiguity is caused.

> How good will the synchronisation work if the original text will be
> changed?
In the above projects it happens, well, naturally - whenever someone feels
like synching different language versions of the same page, they do it. Yeah,
it's not great, but obviously a formal requirement to update all l10ns when
you update one wouldn't work. Some kind of "the German version got edited,
please verify that the English one is in sync" MediaWiki mechanism would be
very beneficial though.

> How will a user find a translations of a page?
Just like in Wikipedia =)

> How much will be translated?
As much as possible, with no bottom limit.

> If it is pretty much everything this sounds like almost copying the wiki
(one could even argue whether to setup extra wikis) ;)
Yup. As I said above, extra wikis is what's usually done.
Then again, I imagine the administrative burden is needlessly high given that
all we (I?) want is move the "de" qualifier from the URL path to the the
subdomain space.

> How do we make sure our wiki will be kept 'clean' / not be cluttered over
> time?
L10ns other than English should be expected to take care of themselves IMHO.

Hope this gives food for thought.

Cheers,
Stefan