List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: why has KDE WWW development gone private?
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-25 22:57:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 22:55, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> >Navindra Umanee wrote:
> >>about?  What was wrong about doing KDE web development on an open list
> >>where we can all see what is going on?
> >
> >I second that. That list used to be more public.
>
> Isn't that an entirely new mailing list? If discussions surrounding the
> development of kde.org were being moved from kde-www to kde-www-dev why
> was no such announcement made here or even discussed here beforehand? Is
> this another example of missing out if you don't sit on IRC all day?

The list will be a forum for the development of a new website for kde.org. The
work has *not* yet started, you missed exactly nothing.

Earlier attempts to renew KDE's websites have been put down by extensive
bikeshedding [B] so we felt this approach is needed.

If you want to join the list:

	- You will be actively involved with developing the new webpresence
	- You will need to put your money where your mouth is, only lurking to give
	  input is *not* going to work

The new webteam will consist of people from multiple disciplines, notably:
	- Webdevelopers
	- Designers
	- Usability / Accessibility people
	- Marketing folks
	- Writers
	- People who want to help with moving content over.

Work on the new website will start around mid-february if we find enough
people who want to join. It's a shitload of work, but only discussing it
won't help (it didn't in the past). If we don't find enough people, we're
screwed.

You're invited to help, but really only if you actually plan to donate time.
If you want to help, send an email to kde-www-devel@kde.org.

KDE deserves a better web presence.

[B] http://www.bikeshed.org
--
sebas

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination
to do so. - Douglas Adams