List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Development
From:       "Carlos Leonhard Woelz" <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-04 4:53:11

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:08:12 +0200, "Marcos Fouces" <mfouces@yahoo.es>
said:
> I agree. There is jobs info at quality.kde.org at kde.org/jobs...
>
> Perhaps something like http://jobs.kde.org with a database of jobs for
> each
> oficial app do the point.
>
> Each app needs the following:
>
> - Programmers
> - Doc Maintainers
> - Artists
> - Usability reports
> - Accesibility reports
> - Beta testing
> - Bug management
> - Promotion
> - i18n
>
> There's also teams non related to apps dev (events, women...) that could
> also
> have specific needs.

The problem with specific jobs (non general tasks) is that someone has
to maintain the lists of available tasks. The developers do not want to
do it (I don't blame them: let them code). I maintain (well, at least
used to, and intend to update) the task pages for kdepim. It is done on
the wiki, to make it easier to change. It worked for some time, until I
stopped working on it, and it really attracted new volunteers. But you
have to know the applications involved and the tasks. See the quality
page to see what I mean:
http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Quality+Team+KDE+PIM

From my personal experience, a page like jobs.kde.org won't work,
unless:

1) It is a epository for general "jobs descriptions with requirements"
like the quality page: http://quality.kde.org/develop/modules/
and / or
2) It is a general framework for volunteers to add updated info about
apps and tasks.

But then again, isn't option 1 already done in the quality pages, and 2
using the wiki? Why a new framework? Moreover: if you go for (2), I
guess you will end up with out of date jobs info, as nobody will update
it...

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--