List:       kde-www
Subject:    Fwd: Re: artist.kde.org
From:       Janet Theobroma <theobroma () revelinux ! com>
Date:       2005-01-22 16:35:10

We discussed this on the kde-artist list and everyone sounded very positive
about the idea, so I thought I would forward this to you guys and get your
thoughts.

Thanks for your time,
Janet Theobroma

Subject: Re: artist.kde.org
Date: Monday 17 January 2005 01:01 pm
From: Janet Theobroma <theobroma@revelinux.com>
To: luci@sh.ground.cz, kde-artists@kde.org

On Monday 17 January 2005 04:07 am, luciash d' being wrote:
> [...]
> > hello janet,
> >
> > nice to hear from you. and thank you for your offer to help. i know about
> > your recent activities at kdelook and i was almost about to ask if there
> > will be some interest from your side regarding the help of maintaining
> > artist.kde.org. you're very welcome.
> >
> > unfortunately i'm very busy about maintaining wiki.kde.org and some other
> > private stuff now so there was just some development done for
> > artist.kde.org on my linux box and those files are not ready yet to
> > commit to cvs and become published, i think.
> >
> > maybe when you'll push me few times i'll move my a** to sit down and make
> > it finished one day :-p
> >
> > i could imagine you very well as an editor of the news section of course,
> > but the submitting system is not ready yet. i have got only cvs access
> > and what's commited to cvs is copied automatically within one hour to the
> > artist.kde.org server. that's why i'm limited not to use some cms or
> > database storing stuff (ok, more i have no time or i'm lazy to bother and
> > disturb admins behind the access, permissions, server and databases
> > configuration) and i developed simple xml documents parsing based system
> > (i found simplified docbook dtd fits well - it can be very helpful when
> > there will be a need to export some docs/tutorials to various formats
> > such as pdf) and the submitting of news or articles could be done to
> > kde-artists@kde.org mailing list for an approval and if there will be no
> > cons the submitted document/news post could be then published by a
> > artist.kde.org maintainer (or call him/her editor if you like) via cvs...
> >
> > your ideas and suggestions are welcome too :)
> > btw, do u have cvs writing access to kde.org ?
> >
> > that's in short about it,
> > cheers luci
>
> On Sunday, 16. of January 2005 5:36 pm, you wrote:
> > My husband and I are really interested in actually maintaining
> > artist.kde.org. I would like to see the site running php-nuke with a full
> > featured forum. I would like to be a place where the developers could
> > collaraborate with the artists from kde-look. I would also like it to be
> > a place that would have information the artists that are interested in
> > contributing to KDE need (icon guides, lisensing info and more). I have
> > the time and the interest to really focus on this. What do you think?
>
> i think it's not very good idea to use php-nuke for any official KDE family
> site.
> i'm really not a fan of php-nuke at all. besides the fact every latest
> php-nuke is now commercial sh*t (as i see it:
> http://www.phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=Release) so you have to pay for
> latest bugfixes and/or improvements, i never got to become familiar with
> the interface, design and layout... if i would use some CMS for the site,
> it would be probably something more lightweight with tableless layout,
> xhtml compliant and easily usable and accessible for all or i would write

I am not stuck on php-nuke I just like it personally. I _do_ agree that it
should be CMS based as this would be easier to administrate. I believe that
no matter what it is it should be something that is pre-built. We can always
change the look and feel to match the other kde family web sites.

> i'm one of the many developers of the Tikiwiki CMS/Groupware which i do use
> for the KDE Wiki (you can check it out when it will be finally back again -
> we all hope the admin guys will figure out the php update and configuration
> soon) but in my work i'm graphics and web designer. i know i'm detailist. i
> wanna everything perfect and then it never happen ;-) i know i failed to
> finish and maintain the artist.kde.org site properly. i'm sorry about it.

I don't really know the history of this web site. I just have seen a need and
want to help fill it.

> but i wouldn't use Tikiwiki (or other big system) for artist.kde.org
> because i think with such a big and full featured CMS it would become more
> mess for the visitors which came to find some generally accepted KDE
> artists standards, guides and rules for KDE graphics development - they has
> to be chosen and polished with care before publishing them as "official"
> and for the suggestions and recommendations the general wiki is suitable
> very well i think. "the best of choice" should be discussed first by the
> creators and contributors to KDE artwork and its fans in the KDE artists
> wikis, forums and mailing-lists we have already done instead of building
> new ones and splitting the resources.

We have discovered through the contests at KDE-Look that there are a lot of
artists that are interested in contributing to KDE. While KDE-Look is a great
place for the artists to contribute their contest entries and personal
artwork, we need a place where artists can go to for reference and direction.
Artists are visual people. That is one of the reasons that KDE-Look works so
well. The wiki, the kde-artist mailing list and the buglist are great for
developers but the artists that have yet to contribute to KDE need a place
where they can feel comfortable. They need a place that is more then just
text, something more then just a reference site.

Artist-kde.org could also be a place for developers to connect with our
artists (new and old) as well as great place to keep track of the current
state of various artwork projects.

> do you think there's any chance we can finish (or anybody else) the
> development of the site with the stuff i already designed and started ? (or
> will be my work lost in nowhere as usually ? :-p) if you're interested i
> can provide more information about the idea, how it works and the
> work-in-progress files i didn't commited to cvs yet. what does your husband
> do and who is it btw ? is he familiar with php and xhtml or xml ?

Like I said above I think we should use a pre-built CMS. I think we need
something that is easy to admin and has the ability to evolve according to
our ever changing needs. I don't have to be in charge of this but if you are
looking for someone I am interested.

> greetings, luci
>
> ps: i'm sending one copy of this mail to the kde-artists mailing list to
> start a discussion about this stuff and share with others too

Okay kde-artists what do you guys think?
--
Email: theobroma@revelinux.com
Jabber: theobroma@jabber.org