List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: [kde-gb] KDE.ie goes live today
From:       "Barry O'Donovan" <mail () barryodonovan ! com>
Date:       2005-01-07 0:23:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 06 January 2005 02:00, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:47:36AM +0000, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> > It's based on the kde.nl and kde.org.uk websites and, as can be
> > seen on http://www.kde.ie/about.php, I've released the code as GPL.
> > I _presume_ this conforms with kde.nl and I know it conforms with
> > kde.org.uk. If I am mistaken here please let me know ASAP.
>
> Good with me, but kde.org.uk uses code from kde.nl so we need to get
> confirmation from them before it's really and truly GPL.

Done. Wilbert Berendsen sent such a confirmation e-mail earlier today.

> I've put in a story to dot.kde.org which notes that you're looking
> for content.

Cheers.

> How did you get the .ie registry to sponsor the domain?

I wrote them a very nice e-mail explaining who I am, who and what KDE is
(in particular a volunteer effort), I explained that many Irish people
benefit from KDE for free and gave a few particular examples including
the Dept. of Computer Science in UCD where the IEDR has its origins and
I promised them the obligatory "this website is sponsored by". I can
send a copy of that e-mail to anyone who wants it. It's well written
(if I do say so myself!) and might be useful for gaining any other such
sponsorship.

.ie domains are expensive (circa E150 including VAT) and difficult to
procure (you cannot just sign up on-line; you need to prove that you
are entitled to a particular name via articles of association,
registered business names, etc). My e-mail just met with the right
person in the right mood I guess (and I'm grateful for that). It's
registered in the name of KDE, not myself.

Regards,
Barry O'Donovan
http://www.barryodonovan.com/
http://www.ihl.ucd.ie/