List:       kde-www
Subject:    KDE.ie goes live today
From:       "Barry O'Donovan" <barry.odonovan () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-01-06 0:47:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello all and happy new year,

I wish to advise you all that Ireland's KDE website went live today
(http://www.kde.ie/). It's purpose is to act as a focal point for Irish
and Irish-based KDE developers, contributors, users and enthusiasts to
promote continued development and communication and also to promote KDE
in Ireland.

It's based on the kde.nl and kde.org.uk websites and, as can be seen on
http://www.kde.ie/about.php, I've released the code as GPL. I _presume_
this conforms with kde.nl and I know it conforms with kde.org.uk. If I
am mistaken here please let me know ASAP.

Some things that may be of interest to these lists:

- you may notice the banners on the top of the page. I have created 5 of
them and they are displayed randomly. Each promotes a different KDE
application and links to that applications web site. It's a simple
rectangular image and a blank box is included in CVS. I am definitely
not a graphics artist and if anyone wants to improve these for KDE.ie
and other KDE websites in general then please do by all means. Contact
me for any help or to set up a repository. I know this idea was bandyed
about on one of these lists before; well here's the implementation.

- I hacked the code for the right side bar and _I think_ it looks
better. In particular I increased the margin between the central text
and the sidebar, I left-justified the news stories and I changed them
to a <ul> environment so that the text lines up. I also removed the
links from the headers and added them below the headers. Lastly, the
lastRSS class hangs if the RSS files cannot be read (i.e. if
dot.kde.org is unresponsive (and it often is)). Instead I set up a
cronjob to 'wget' these files and the webpage just reads these local
copies. This makes loading much faster and prevents the aforementioned
hangs.

- the hot seat rotates randomly.

- it still needs content - in particular the list of Irish contributors
and developers, the commercial section and the case studies. I've
contacted my local LUG and will hopefully receive some content from
them.

Any comments, feedback, etc welcomed.

Kind regards,
Barry