List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Patents in europe image
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2004-09-25 22:33:23

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

> [Andreas Pour, Sonntag, 26. September 2004 00:10]
> > Just for fun I attach a few images you might consider also . . . .
> >

> Your pictures have the advantage that they are not limited to the EU.
> In the European Union software patents are currently most strongly
> debated, so it makes sense to use the EU logo, but there are a lot of
> other countries where software patents might be introduced or could be
> removed again.

Good point.  Even in the US software patents are somewhat questionable -
they have not been endorsed by Congress or the Supreme Court and rather were
introduced by an appellate court (though the most important one) and
arguably (and IMO) are a/g a Supreme Court decision.  See e.g.
http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044_print.html ,
http://democracyweb.com/law/software.htm .

So personally, I think we should lose the pre-occupation with the EU, and
make the opposition to software patents universal.

Ciao,

Dre