List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Non-directory hierachies in php menu system
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-08-13 21:55:34

On Friday 13 August 2004 17:50, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:44:50 +0000, "Frans Englich"
>
> <frans.englich@telia.com> said:
> > On Friday 13 August 2004 15:10, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > What a shame, I'm trying to integrate docbook and those features would be
> > useful(and I have no suggestions on the php code :|).
>
> Maybe the guys (especially Claudiu Costin) from the i18n project can
> help you with docbook <=> php integration. They sure have a lot of
> experience in this area.

i18n.kde.org doesn't use the php framework(considering all the docbook
projects they have there it's probably for a reason :}).

I don't think there's much to do about it. I guess the php framework was
written before the XML technologies were established, since they really don't
match, and the framework solves the same problems as the XML technologies do.
For example, the typical:

<?php include "header.inc";?><p>body content</p><?php include "footer.inc"?>

is a copy-paste of file declaration, html,head,body tags, which doesn't work
with XML.

Anyone who uses/will use XML technologies(read: The future), will run into
these integration problems.
I think it would be a good idea to write the php framework in XSL/XInclude
which then could be made highly modular; atomic XSL functions, params,
layered XSLs which would make any type of integration swift: customized XSL
sheets could inherit the standard ones, reimplement functions, specifically
pick templates etc etc. The php code would call these templates in order to
avoid duplicate work(but they would be statically rendered).

Conversion would be simple(and optional), probably possible to script, and the
server load would significantly drop since static pages would be served,
instead of the current copy-paste php.

			Frans