List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Website Correction Request from palmOne
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-29 10:17:48

Hi Cooper (and Waldo and Lauri, but you I already know),

It's gratifying to finally receive some attention from the company whose
hardware you've been supporting for many years - even if it is a link-change
request.

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 22:07, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hi Adriaan, Lauri,
> Subject: Website Correction Request from palmOne
> Date: Wednesday 28 July 2004 19:22
> From: "Cooper Marcus" <Cooper.Marcus@palmone.com>
>
> I'm writing to request some updates on your website
> http://docs.kde.org/de/HEAD/kdepim/kpilot/hotsync.html .
> As you may know, palmOne, not Palm, is now the name of the company that
>  manufactures handhelds, and palmOne has acquired Handspring (the
> originator of Treo smartphones).

The issue of naming is one I've been struggling with recently - since I do
indeed know that there has been some business turmoil. If you take a look at
http://www.kpilot.org/ (scroll down to the trademarks section) you'll see
I've tried to get it right (and if there's something wrong, do let me know
and I'll fix it up - in particular who produces the Palm Desktop software).

I'm somewhat surprised that you're requesting a change to one specific page
which is a translation of the original English document (of which I am the
primary author). There are probably translations in 50 different languages,
and the originals are scattered about as well. We can't change the released
versions of the documentation (which go back to 1998 or so), but for the
upcoming KDE 3.3 release we can try to fix the URLs that you mention. The new
documentation will supplant the old on the web as well.

> With these changes, there have been URL changes -
> http://www.palmone.com/us/ is now the home page for palmOne,
> http://www.handspring.com/ is now
> http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/, and the palmOne store is
> now at http://store.palmone.com/

Using /us/ links for potentially international users is not likely to be
useful - I'm not sure whether our translation framework provides for changing
URLs in a document. As far as I can tell, there is only one link on that
page, to palm.com. I've changed that.

> In addition, I suggest you no longer use the Handspring brand name - this
>  brand has been replaced by Treo smartphones. Similarly, the Palm brand
> name is no longer used - please use palmOne when referring to PalmOS
> hardware.

Since KPilot supports all PalmOS-based devices (right back to the PalmPilot
Pro 1000 I have in a box somewhere and including my Handspring Visor Deluxe),
we cannot remove mention of such devices.

As a sign of good faith, I've changed "the 3com Palm Pilot and similar
products" to "PalmOne handhelds and similar products", on the grounds that
you are more relevant than 3com.

> Please note these changes going forward.

What does that mean?

> Thanks so much for your assistance in this matter. Do let me know if I can
>  answer any questions.

- From a purely logical perspective, that last sentence is flawed, but I'll try
to go for common understanding: sure, I have a question. I'm happy to
cooperate with you in order to make the information presented about PalmOne
handhelds as accurate as possible. Would you be interested in cooperating
with us in order to make sure that PalmOne handhelds operate in our
environment as best they can? You see, the underlying library for pretty much
all PalmOS-based handheld development under UNIX-like systems is pilot-link
(it's not developed by me, but I use it for my syncing application). For
testing purposes (the APIs for various databases has changed in recent PalmOS
versions) the developers of pilot-link need testing units; I believe they
need a Tungsten T3 in particular in order to improve support for it. By
supporting them, you support me and others who work support your products on
Linux, BSD, MacOS, and others.

Yours,
	Adriaan de Groot
	[ade]

PS. Changes to the links as requested have just been committed; these will
propagate to the webpages in the next few weeks.

- --
   "On top of that [watching KDE CVS] is interesting in a perverse
    way, like watching sausage get made. By very smart people." - dkite